From bellies to babies, there is one simple rule that always seems to be ignored: Do Not Touch!
Oh Yes Please, do touch my stomach! – said no pregnant woman ever
Does anyone else remember the song taught in elementary school and/or girl scouts along with Stranger Danger, “Stop! Don’t touch me there these are my No-No Squares?” Well I have news for you….a pregnant woman still has no-no squares. Do not touch her in her no-no square, her belly would be included in this said square.
I strongly suggest if you are a belly rubbing culprit, resist the urge, and DO NOT TOUCH PREGNANT WOMEN. Unless you helped created it, it is not yours to touch. This is for the safety of the mother and her unborn child, as well as your safety, she may know kung fu, but no really.
Shall we flip the table, now let us pretend how you would feel if someone touched your stomach, pregnant or not, just came up and started touching you. Randomly at work, at a coffee shop, at a restaurant, on the street just started touching you like a door knob even with a little wax on, wax off motion. Now start asking yourself:
- Where have those hands been?
- Why are they caressing your personal space and bubble?
- When was the last time they were sick?
- Did they wash their hands after using the bathroom last time?
- Why are they touching you in which some instances can be borderline sexual assault? (not to get too legal on you but sexual assault defined: 1. Intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. *Cornell Law School Definition)
Now everyone once and a while you will cross a pregnant woman who does not mind letting you touch her belly. I can only imagine this may be more rare than the Pygmy Three-Toed Sloth.
However it does not include open invitations to every single pregnant woman you will pass. Ask if you must, but a stomach is NOT yours to touch unless it is your own. Lets remember what you were taught as a young child “KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF!” and really practice it shall we.